If you’re thinking about graduate school, then it’s important to know the facts. We found some surprising ones that demonstrate the growth of advanced education in the U.S. and how vital a graduate degree is to improved career prospects.
- The Northeast has the greatest density of graduate degree holders; they make up about 16% of the population.
- The unemployment rate among graduate degree holders is much lower than it is among the general population, ranging from 2.1 to 4.6%. The overall national unemployment rate in 2010 is around 10%.
- Sixty percent of the Master’s degree in the U.S. are earned by women. These figures for women are expected to grow over the coming decades/
- Whites hold about 66% of the awarded master’s degrees and 57% of doctoral degrees. While the number of Hispanics and blacks enrolled in graduate programs is increasing, there are still far fewer minorities enrolled in graduate programs.
- The number of doctoral degree holders has increased 28% over the last ten years. Whether for improved job prospects or personal interest, Americans are going to school longer than they used to.
- Fourteen percent of online courses are graduate level. As more and more colleges offer online options, 1 in 10 graduate degree students will complete at least one course entirely online.
Did you enjoy this article?