Job outlook and high demand fields are something that more students are starting to take into consideration when considering different majors and degree program options. While the job market seems to be picking up in many places across the country, there are occupational fields that are definitely still struggling with no signs of improvement in the near future. However, some fields are booming currently, and are looking to continue to grow over the next several years.
- Nursing: Nursing and healthcare degrees are among the best degree programs to get into right now. Nursing jobs are expected to increase greatly over the next several years, making degree holders in the field great candidates for hospitals and organizations looking to hire skilled and trained employees. Over the next several years, nursing jobs are expected to increase by about 22%, adding more than 580,000 new nursing jobs to the field, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
- Healthcare: Healthcare is one of the fastest growing fields and healthcare occupations account for 10 of the 20 fastest growing jobs in the next several years. Therefore, degrees in healthcare administration, medicine, and related concentrations are among the best to earn right now. Occupations with the highest estimated growth include physicians and surgeons at 22%, creating more than 144,00 new jobs, and physician assistants expected to grow by 39%, adding more than 29,000 new physician assistant jobs. Medical administrative assistants are also expected to endure large growth as about 125,000 new jobs are estimated in this area.
- Computer Science: Degrees in computer science are very popular right now as the need for computer engineers and specialists looks to be increasing greatly over the next few years. The need for computer software engineers is expected to increase by 32%, adding more than 295,000 jobs over the next several years. Additionally, jobs for computer support specialists are expected to increase by 14% adding 78,000 new jobs in the coming years, and computer network, systems, and database administrator jobs are expected to increase by 30%, adding more than 286,000 news jobs.
- Biology: Biology careers are expected to increase greatly in the next couple of years as well. Biological scientists are expected to grow much faster than the average occupation, with estimates that jobs in the field will increase by 21%. Other occupations expected to endure large growth are pharmacists, which are expected to grow by 17%, and science technicians, which are expected to grow by 12%, adding more than 31,000 jobs in the next several years. Science technicians can specialize in agriculture, chemicals, geology, biology, the environment, forest and conservation, and forensic science.
- Accounting: Accounting degrees are beneficial now because occupations in accounting are expected to grow much faster than the average occupation. Accountant and auditor jobs are estimated to grow by 22%, adding more than 279,000 jobs in the coming years. Ever changing corporate and tax laws and regulations ensure that the need for accountants and auditors will continue to grow. They can find work in a number of sectors including state and local government jobs, private companies, and corporations.
Did you enjoy this article?