Whether you are trying to complete research for a paper, take an exam online, or just need to do some work on your laptop, the speed and efficiency of your computer can definitely alter your mood. The feeling of wanting to rip your hair out because your computer is not exactly running the way it is supposed to is something that everyone can relate to. Luckily, there are some tips and things you can do to help your computer stay in tip-top shape.
- Use antivirus programs- One of the best ways to protect your laptop is to install antivirus programs. Computer viruses can infect your computer system without you even knowing. In fact, you don’t even necessarily have to download something for a virus to infest your system. Visiting certain sites alone can cause your system to be infected by trojans, malware, or spyware. Be sure to protect your computer from fraud, hackers, and viruses by installing some sort of protection.
- Update your programs- Most programs that you use on your computer on a daily basis need to be updated, and this also includes antivirus programs. While most laptops and computers have automatic updates and pop-ups that tell you when a newer version of something is available, the updates still need to be manually accepted by you. Keeping your computer updated will ensure that your programs are working at optimal condition. Regular computer and system updates can also help protect against security issues.
- Keep it from overheating- Overheating your laptop can alter the performance and even ruin your laptop. Common ways to avoid overheating a laptop include turning it off before placing it in a backpack or laptop case and adjusting power settings on your computer so that systems and drives power off when they are not in use. Laptops should also be placed on hard surfaces and never on blankets or soft objects where the air vents can be blocked, according to Laptop Overheating.
- Use caution when installing- If you are worried or have doubts about installing a program, don’t do it. If it’s a precaution, do a little bit of research on the program to ensure that it is legitimate and won’t cause your computer any harm. A simple Google search of the program should tell you whether or not it could be harmful to your computer. If you know something seems harmful, do not install it.
- Lengthen your battery life- The working condition of your laptop will have a lot to do with the condition of your battery. Many users do not realize that the life of their battery relies heavily on the way they use it. A battery is meant to be used and leaving it fully charged all the time will shorten its life. It is best to only charge your laptop when the battery is low. An article in BNET shares other tips on how to extend the life of your laptop battery.
Did you enjoy this article?